Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Allende

This is what I'm reading.
I can't put it down. My sister tried to read it and she found it too brutal. I had already read Gabriel Garcia Marques, to whom Allende is often compared, so maybe I was more prepared. Some rough stuff happens. But I think what Isobel found brutal, I find honest and more like what really happens in life than what you expect to read in novels. You know what I mean? The story line is not sugar coated and the characters are not cut and dry. Someone who seems very evil is still human and has better moments and even times when I sympathize and wish things could be different. The characters are real and their story is gripping!!!

Have you read any of her work?

1 comment:

  1. Only a short story in my first Spanish lit survey at Clemson. But your review makes me want to read more!

    ReplyDelete