Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Books, books, good books!

I've been reading...

A few weeks ago, I got 4 books all from one yard sale and I've read them quickly one after the other. I like to read while I cook and I do cook a lot.


Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen is light reading. Very fun and girly and fantastically magical. For example, there is an apple tree that throws apples at people trying to get them to take a bite. If you take a bite, you will have a vision of the most important event that is to take place in your life... I had a lot of fun reading this book. Such interesting characters. Isobel read it too and liked it so much that she was basically antisocial until she finished it. But that's Isobel for you!


The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards was riveting, but altogether a real downer. I mean, things are fairly wrapped up by the end, but the characters have been utterly miserable for so long by that point that there can be no true resolution to their suffering. The story follows two families and I did enjoy reading about one of the families, but not the other so much.


About two thirds or so through this one I thought I knew what would happen from there on out. It seemed like a neat little package had formed and the author just had to spell it out and they'd all live happily ever after. Boy- was I in for a total turn-around. This book is AWESOME! Mama and Isobel read it as well. Mama's only complaint was that she couldn't get anything done around the house until the story was all told. Seriously, it will suck you in and you will love it!


This is another Sarah Addison Allen charmer. It takes place in winter and I was really trying to save it for the colder months, but I gave in because it looks so tasty. It is tasty. And whimsical and magical. I think Allen has a third book out and I need to find it soon. Then I need to write to her and tell her that I'm dreaming of moving into a cozy North Carolina small town Craftsman Bungalow thanks in part to her... She actually lives not far from here. Just up the road in Asheville.

Anyway, what have you been reading lately?

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted to read Memory Keeper's Daughter but so many people told me they were really depressed after finishing it....

    I love the cover for Sugar Queen and I'm tempted to read it!

    If you haven't read Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, you really should. I finished it not too long ago and it was amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete