Friday, April 15, 2011

Beauty

Did you read Moorea Seal's post about bullying and beauty? I did and I painted my nails the prettiest Barbie pink you've ever seen because I have been through it. Not the bullying part, but the struggle for self-acceptance.

I don't know any girl who hasn't had body-image issues, but it is surely different for each of us. I didn't learn to love my own body until my belly was big with Beatrice. I was always thin and if I went through an emotionally hard time, I got skinny. Then I just looked gangly and gaunt- not pretty!

I feel better now that I weigh a good 15 pounds above my adult average. I feel more like a woman and more like I can be myself. I'm not in any competition to be the skinniest girl in the room and that feels good. It's also nice not having loved ones worry about me!!

Besides, since returning to my faith after a long hiatus, I've realized that how I feel about myself really doesn't matter. What matters is how God feels about me and how I express my gratitude for His love in the way I treat all the people in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Jake and I were actually just talking about how beautiful you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post..great attitude! :) It's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've struggled with this too -- when I go to hockey games and see the tan blonde frat boy girlfriends, etc. I struggle to accept my own personality too -- your words are very encouraging to me today.

    ReplyDelete