Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Finger

We went to the hand center yesterday and they took a few more x-rays. The bone is completely severed and out of place. My heart broke to see that perfect little hand, broken. On Monday, she will have an operation to put the bone back in place and a pin will be inserted to keep it aligned while it heals. She'll wear something like a boxing glove so she can't get to it. Then, after a few weeks, the pin will be taken out and she will just have the splint and tape like in those pictures. The whole thing should be over in 6 to 8 weeks. 

No water parks, pools, lakes or beaches. No bubble baths.

So I guess you are wondering what happened? Well, no one actually saw it happen. I left her at my folks house to take my sister somewhere. A few minutes after we left, Mama called and said Beatrice might need to go to the ER and I should probably turn around. She had gotten Mama's exercise weights (3lbs) and seemed to have dropped one on her hand. It was very naughty of her to be playing with those because they are an established no-no and she knows it, but she can be sneaky sometimes. 

Anyway, I came right back and even though it had happened only like 5 minutes ago, her hand was all swollen and bruised looking. We took her to the hospital and hoped it was just strained or sprained, but the x-rays confirmed a brake.

I love my daughter more than I can say. She is so very precious to me and I hurt for her right now. I also have to be strong for her and make this whole thing seem normal and okay. I don't want it to be traumatic for her. She doesn't even know what's going on. 

1 comment:

  1. poor little baby! good luck with the surgery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete