Sunday, July 3, 2011

On Being a Seeker

Let me preface this by saying that this is not a post about Harry Potter.


I have been interested in and inspired by Hermann Hesse on and off the past almost-decade. Have you read Steppenwolf? It is about feeling like you don't fit in and all the struggles that come with accepting who you are regardless of what anybody else has to say. And learning that your dreams and the world's expectations of you are not always the same. I'm just going to share a little excerpt that I've gone back to a number of times.

"You have a picture of life within you, a faith, a challenge, and you were ready for deeds and suffering and sacrifices, and then you became aware by degrees that the world asked no deeds and no sacrifices of you whatever, and that life is no poem of heroism with heroic parts to play and so on, but a comfortable room where people are quite content with eating and drinking, coffee and knitting, cards and wireless. And whoever wants more and has got it in him- the heroic and the beautiful, and the reverence for the great poets or for the saints- is a fool and a Don Quixote... You are much too exacting a hungry for this simple, easygoing and easily contented world of today. You have a dimension too many... Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours."

I think many of us spend our youth dreaming of all the wonderful-exciting-amazing things we are going to do someday. But if you look ahead too much, you miss out on all the wonder of right now. I've found that my happiness has nothing to do with how many of those Someday Things I've checked off the list.

It's more about how much I've treasured the little things and it's about enjoying being myself and living my own life (even if it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things).

I love God and the universe he put us in. I seek out beauty every day. I laugh and make my family smile. I am there for my friends. I love who I am. And I love that I have a long way to go to become who I will be.

How have your dreams changed and evolved?

5 comments:

  1. Its always good to have dreams...it gives one something beyond ourselves, but not to live in these dreams. Contentment is doing what God has planned for you each and every day. I used to think, a very long time ago, that I would like to be a tightrope walker or trapeze artist, but that was before I figured out I was afraid of heighths! And before I found out that you can still be these circus employees if you try to be who others want you to be. Just be content with who and what you are, grow a little each day and above all, Love your God with all your heart and all you mind and all your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I can totally imagine you performing crazy antics...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Lily I think that you SHOULD do a post about Harry Potter - I would help you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I may have to read that book...

    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, take it with you next time you come over and you'll probably get a few laughs as you read through because Hudson and James and I all read this one copy and all marked it up with underlines, comments and question marks. And we replied to each others' comments and questions... It may drive you balmy tho...

    ReplyDelete