Thursday, September 22, 2011

Learning a Lesson

I've had this project in my computer graphics class that I'm finally turning in today. The assignment was to design a tri-fold brochure for a product chosen from a list that the teacher provided. I chose Crest Whitestrips. We used InDesign to create the brochure and I've paid close attention in class and worked hard at home to learn this program.

Something you should know about me is that all my life it has been very important to me that I make good grades. Not just good, perfect. And I have always been the sort to get really offended and upset by anything less than an A.

Well, I had my brochure finished and printed and last night I set it all up on the display board. Only to realize for the first time that the placement of one of the images is really not good. It's the sort of not good that you have to see printed and folded to understand. That is why I overlooked it on the computer, I suppose. AND my teacher is kinda anal about sans serif vs serif and I am not.

So I'm probably going to get a low grade for this assignment.

And you know what? I'm okay with that.

It's more important to me now that I learn the program than that I impress the teacher or have a perfect score. I've been too prideful and I can take a step back. The point of school is to get an education, afterall, not to show off- not even to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I think it was really good, overall. If she nitpicks it for the details and gives you a disproportionately low grade because of it, don't take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It went a lot better than I expected, but I was the last one critiqued so maybe everyone was just tired and ready to go home...

    ReplyDelete