Monday, February 6, 2012

Personal Style 101: AMY MORBY on Confidence!

///Here is an awesome guest post from none other than Amy Morby! She is a style-savvy, thrifting guru with some great advice for us today-- Woohoo!///

Hello, all of you pretty readers! My name is Amy, and I run a silly little blog called A is for Ampersand where I go on wild thrifting adventures, ride around town in my 1984 Westfalia Vanagon, and fess up to my cat lady tendencies.

I'm thrilled to be guest posting on Lily's pretty blog today, and I couldn't be more passionate about this subject if I wanted to! Today it's all about dressing with confidence! In fact, every day should be about dressing with confidence.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "oh, that looks great on you, but I could never pull it off." I think that as women, we're prone to hearing/saying that everywhere we go. But nothing, and I mean nothing! makes me angrier than that phrase. I 110% believe that you can pull off ANYTHING. That's right--anything. No matter your body type, your skin color, hair color, whatever. If you love it--WEAR IT!

Here are 5 little "tips" if you will I use daily to embolden my sense of style and inspire me to be bold!

1. If you love it, nothing else matters

This is the #1 rule of my wardrobe. If I love it and I feel great in it, then that's all that matters! Fashion should be all about what YOU love and what YOU fee comfortable in. If you've got a stellar vintage dress that's a little wild but makes you feel like a vixen, then wear it with pride!

3


If you look at your top 3 style icons, I think you'll find that they wear things they feel confident in. I know that the most beautiful people I know are girls with wild confidence, and I think that confidence comes from staying true to their style sense at all times.

2. Wear it in public at least once

If you've got an outfit you're not so sure about, give yourself a favor and wear it out in public at least once. It's kind of like the "one-bite rule" your mom forced on you at dinner all those years ago. You'll never know how comfortable you feel in an outfit until you give it a try! And hey--you might just get a flood of compliments! Every outfit deserves one day of glory.

4


3. Do I love it? And does it really matter if someone else doesn't?

Whenever I'm feeling scared of an outfit, I ask myself "is it the end of the world if someone doesn't like what I'm wearing?" to which the answer is always NO. There are far worse things than someone not liking your ensemble. Plus, if they don't--do you really want their friendship anyway? Nah. I'd rather dress for myself!

4. It works if you work it!

I had an awesome friend in high school once tell me "Amy, anyone can wear high heels, but you have to wear them like you mean it--put some hip into it!" While it was mostly a joke, I've always remembered that comment and have tried to remember that anything can work--you just have to own it! Own that vintage dress with the wild 60s pattern! Work those high-waisted jeans! Walk with the swagger of someone wearing that one-of-a-kind thrift find that was a screamin' deal. I'm willing to bet that if you try a daring outfit and put some confidence into it, people will notice.

6


And now I give you a challenge--take that outfit you've been dying to wear but haven't been able to find the confidence for and WEAR IT! Wear it to dinner or for a day at the office. Work it, own it, and stay true to yourself and your own sense of style.

Let me know how it goes! And if you've got tips on dressing with confidence I'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

  1. I love Amy's blog and she's absolutely right about all of these points! I own several weird items of clothing which will stay with me forever because I love them very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to go to goodwill today...and try to find a romper that will fit me soon. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love seeing people wear unusual outfits and I love to inject a little crazy into my own. It is all part of loving ourselves - allowing ourselves to be creative dressers!

    ReplyDelete