Monday, April 23, 2012

How To Impersonate Andy Warhol

We are each doing a brochure on the topic of our choice. Our designs have to be based on a grid system. What do you think of my topic?
cover
inside spread
back page

HOW TO IMPERSONATE ANDY WARHOL:

The Look:
Andy Warhol was an artist obsessed with celebrity and beauty. He not only wanted to portray American icons, he aspired to be one. His look was suitably iconic. 

To get the Warhol look, try a boldly striped shirt under a leather jacket and some dark glasses. For more of an evening look, pair a white oxford with a skinny tie or a turtleneck under a blazer. Wear black cigarette pants or shabby jeans. Top it all off with a silver wig.


The Mannerisms:
A gay man, Warhol’s friends in the 
early 1960s criticized him for being “too swishy.” His dyslexia and his 
difficulty with verbal communication led him to develop his signature style of expression.

He had a generic, non-specific enthusiasm for just about anything, often communicating with little more than  simple expressions such as “Wow” or “Oh, great.” 


The Props:
“When I got my first television set, I stopped caring so much about 
having close relationships.”

Warhol was enamoured of technology because it was a way to detach himself from emotional drama. He wanted to watch drama, but not be involved in it. 

Carry a camera or a tape recorder to experience similar detachment.  


The Muse:
Like all great celebrities, Warhol knew how to look good in pictures and it’s a lot easier to look great in a picture when you have a beautiful girl on your arm. 

In Edie Sedgwick, Warhol created a doppelgänger, but he had other muses such as chanteuse Nico and drag queen Candy Darling to inspire him as well.

If you want to be authentic in your impersonation, make sure you have a glamorous girl at your side. 


3 comments:

  1. Welp, it is official. I was away from Facebook for awhile and I think I saw you post this to James' feed, maybe? Anyway, I thought "Oh,Lily found some article from a magazine and forwarded it to James, that's nice." It wasn't until I scrolled further that I noticed that is a Lily original. When I cannot distinguish between your work and that of a professional magazine, I would say you have unlocked the mastery of graphic design achievement in the video game we call life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Josh! Your comment Made My Day!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun! I love the palette too! Makes me want to listen to some velvet underground and watch factory girl.

    Sarah
    http://bringmoreyarn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete