Saturday, June 16, 2012

No Phone


Now I am free. 

About a month ago I started identifying areas of stress in my life and systematically eradicating them. This was one of the last to go: my cell phone. And in a way, this was the hardest, considering how central a phone is to the modern lifestyle. Most of my friends have smart phones with internet and what a great distraction it is to have total access to everything all the time and it fits in your pocket. What a convenience. 

BUT my phone was nothing but a source of stress, guilt and anxiety for me. It took me a long time to admit that to myself. But I'm glad I did and I'm glad to be rid of it.

If you really need -or just want- to get in touch with me, I'm online. And you can always just stop by. I'll mix you a cocktail.

image: Cindy Sherman, Untitled #90
"You said you would call and I stayed by the phone..."

6 comments:

  1. oh congratulations! this sounds wonderful. I've always been one to just forget I have a phone for days on end, so it's not much stress for me. I did, however DELETE MY FACEBOOK last month, and geeeewiz it feels effin fantastic!
    hooray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love not having my phone with me. I refuse to upgrade to a smartphone and continue to have my dumbphone.

    Congratulations on this victory!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a brave one! i do enjoy my out of country vacations, though. no phone to deal with! but what can you do from way over there anyways??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Mine's a Dark and Stormy, thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! My husband and I have discussed getting rid of our cell phones (we don't have fancy phones, just calls and text) and only have a landline. I think the only thing that would change for me would be that I'd need to get a watch!

    ReplyDelete