Sunday, January 6, 2013

Spending Time With James


One of the things I want to do this year is get back to a closer relationship with my husband. It's not that there's anything wrong as it is, but life gets busy and we have kids and we work so much that sometimes we just end up not hanging out. The kids go to bed and he reads and I work on school stuff and that's that.

But I had this idea. See, I drink wine almost every night. A glass of red. It's supposed to be healthy, right? But it's not good to drink alone, they say. But I do anyway because James doesn't like wine.

Well, on a recent date, I got him to try this unfiltered sake. It turns out it is a solid overlap of his taste preference and my own.

So I got three bottles from the liquor store. The first bottle was consumed while chatting on the couch and watching Sound of Noise. (good movie!) The second was consumed while folding 6 loads of laundry. We still have one bottle left and already we have spent more time hanging out together than usual.

At work last night, I found myself missing James and wondering what he was up to and looking forward to seeing him. Like I said, we are fine. But 9 years into a relationship? There are bound to be peaks and valleys. If some Japanese alcohol can warm our winter, I say it's a good thing.

This is kind of a pity though because one of my heretofore unspoken resolutions is to drink less.

4 comments:

  1. Sake is totally good for you, though. So it's fine. ;)
    My husband and I make fancy cocktails together for quality time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, share recipes for fancy cocktails and I will try them with James!!!!

      Delete
    2. This is my favorite. She has tons of fancy cocktails on her site, though. I'm limited to what I can try because I can't drink vodka.
      http://www.shutterbean.com/2010/blackberry-ginger-sours/

      Delete
  2. This is a really cute idea :-) The reminders of being intentional with our partners is so important!

    ReplyDelete