Thursday, February 28, 2013

Van Cliburn


I usually keep references to sad things off my blog, but life is life. Which includes death. Today, on my way to school, Fred Child broke the news to me that Van Cliburn passed away. And I realized in that moment, that if my brother were still alive, this would be really big news to him. He loved music, he lived music. I imagined him calling me and telling me and his voice cracking. Or maybe I would call him. Would he be up as early as I go to school?

Anecdote: When we were kids, I complained to him that I didn't like Aaron Copland's music. My brother put on Fanfare for the Common Man and made me sit with my ear pressed against the speaker on the painted brick floor. He turned it up. Maybe I'm not into Copland even today, but I appreciate the power of that music.

So today in school, I am finishing up a print project that relates to said brother. I designed a sugar skull full of imagery relating to his life and, yes, to his death as well.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Lily. It takes courage to live an emotional life. Sometimes it's easier to push sad and poignant thoughts out of our minds, which gets harder the longer we live and the more loss we experience. But the reward it getting to relive those moments with our loved ones, as bittersweet as it may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Lou. Your kindness and understanding are much appreciated! I hope we can see you and the Mr. soon!

      Delete
  2. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.


    My webpage; adrenal glands cortisol
    Also see my web site: addictinggames.com\/info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spammers suck. It is really insensitive of you to spam a post like this. Eff off.

      Delete
  3. Hi! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    Here is my website; cheap christian louboutin

    ReplyDelete