Thursday, March 7, 2013

Anti-Corporate Anyday


You know how all these pretty blogs have a day of the week dedicated to sharing lovely, expensive things they want to buy? I thought it might be nice to take a break from all those distracting superficialities and turn the brights on the corruption of it all. What do you say?

I heard an ad on the radio that really upset me. It was a Wal-Mart ad. I don't know about you, but I never hear Wal-Mart ads, except for maybe a short sponsor spot on public radio. This W-M ad offered to beat local sales. Bring in a coupon from any local store and W-M will beat their prices!

My family lives in a part of town that a generation ago was comprised entirely of mom and pops. I mean, this area was jam-packed with small town staples like the hardware store, diners, post office, cotton gin, feed & seed, local grocer, etc. Now there's Bi-Lo, a recently closed K-Mart, BP, Big Lots, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Hardees, Wendy's and so on.

Most of the local places are long gone and the ones that remain don't have a chance if a big box store comes in and promises to beat their prices. The Quick Stop Garden Spot workers have grandkids. They can't mark their stuff down any more. Their only defense against corporate bullies is all of us loyal customers. And we are all poor anyway.

But I guess as long as the Waltons want more money, what's to stop them from getting it? After all, profit is the highest value of our society.

4 comments:

  1. If you don't like the Waltons, yr just jealous!
    They worked hard for their dough.
    So why do I feel like roasting them over an open flame?
    I'd like to shove a big spike up all 6 fat Walton asses
    And turn them over and over until they were well done.
    Of course, no one would want to eat such a nasty meal.
    So we'd feed it to the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greаt infoгmation. Lucky mе Ι гan acгoss
    уоuг website by accіdent (stumbleupon).
    I have bookmarκed it fοr lateг!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. i always try to avoid those "friday round-up" posts. just make stuff people.

    ReplyDelete