Thursday, March 28, 2013

Castaic, CA

So I'm getting re-acclimated to life in the South. Getting all that time away has me wondering, how did I manage such a busy schedule before? I can't seem to keep up now.

At the Greenpeace Action Camp, I stayed in a cabin with a number of other girls. I used my domestic skillz to make it look like this:


Tidy, eh? And I kept my self fairly tidy also. I washed my hands a few times every day, anyway. For whatever that's worth.


This is a good time to say that the food was better than good. It was amazing. And I was super hungry thanks to long days and lots of sun. I ate like 3 times my usual amount, y'all. 

There were around 160 folks at the camp. We were split into four tracks: climbing, boating, blockading, arting. These are (most of) the Arts in Action campers and the giant condor we made:


We also made a snake, a number of banners and signs, some puppets, t-shirt stencils, etc. We learned interesting techniques for DIYing that I'm already implementing here at home. We learned about telling a story through our art, making our text on banners readable and getting across the intended message. Someone gave us tips for getting our political art out on the streets. Another trainer led a four-hour street theatre workshop. We played some fun improv games (right up my alley, you know :) and did an intense role play in which I was the CEO of a coal company. 


I met a lot of people from all over the place and made a number of friends. I hope we stay in touch and encourage each other in our various projects. 

For me, the greatest outcome is that I now have a clearer vision of my own path than before and I can see it stretched out ahead of me. Here in Greenville, SC I had never seen anyone be a non-corporate graphic designer so I didn't have first hand knowledge that such a career could even be possible. Now I have that validation and I can apprehensionlessly* dedicate myself 110% to Arts in Action!

There was so much more than this at camp, but for now, just this much. I have homework to do. 

*It works because you knew what I meant. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the trip went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother recommended I may like this web site.
    He used to be totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

    Also visit my web site :: http://www.rayban1stoutlet.com/

    ReplyDelete