Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mermaid Avenue

Well, I broke down and got the whole darn complete sessions of Mermaid Avenue. The lyrics are all by Woody Guthrie, previously unrecorded. The music is written and performed by Billy Bragg and Wilco.  I love this stuff! There's some slow ballady songs, plenty of jiving rock and just enough twang to make this southern girl smile.

Woody Guthrie's lyrics are amazing. Words that paint this man so you feel like you know him. A few of the songs are just so tender you don't know what to do, but then he's bragging and causing a ruckus and womanizing. Then he sings about women being ahead of the men all along. Oh, and that love song to a flying saucer. What's that about? (Future Darger cover song is what!)


I know that on my blog when I'm obsessed with something it shows. Remember all those Dune posts? Well, here's a lyric for ya,

"I ain't the world's best writer 
or the world's best speller, 
But when I believe in something 
I'm the loudest yeller." 


1 comment:

  1. I really love "Songs to grow on for mother and child." I wonder If I can listen to this on spotify.

    ReplyDelete