Monday, September 2, 2013

Balancing Act

via
Hey, I need to level things out here. All work and no play makes Jane a dull girl. Too much studying! I need a pleasure-read. What are some good books you'd recommend, oh dear readers? "But, Lily," you say, "you don't have time to read!" One can always find time for a worthy book, yo.

I like books like, uh, Count of Monte Cristo. There's only one of those, though, and even all of Dumas' other works combined didn't compare to the wonder and glory of that one book, you know? So what else? In essence, I like books that transport me to another world/time/way of thinking. I like to be completely consumed by a fantasy. The best ones follow me around after I put down the book, lingering behind me like a pieces of gauze in the wind, the little scraps settling in my hair when I slow down.

Classics are best, but I like new stuff too. And I'll read non-fiction if the ideas are fascinating enough.

Leave suggestions in the comment section, why don't ya?*

(Rather than through the contact form, you know who you are!)

15 comments:

  1. Have you read Bleak House by Dickens? Sublime. I don't care whose perspective it's written from, lady deadlock is the main character. Inspector bucket is a surprising favorite with me as well.

    Nonfiction - Generous Justice, Timothy Keller. I gave you a copy of that, right?

    KVR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Bleak House, but I love Dickens!

      Pretty sure James has Generous Justice. :)

      Delete
    2. If I ever manage to see you, I can lend you a lovely old hard back copy of bleak house. :)

      Generous Justice changed my political leaning forever. Just don't get bogged down in the too specific practical stuff toward the end.

      KVR

      Delete
  2. Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
    The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux
    Gilead by Anne Robinson
    Slaughter House Five or Cat's Cradle from Kurt Vonnegut
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

    And, I know you like novels but short fiction can be super enriching as well. If you decide to dabble check out story collections from TC Boyle, Raymond Carver, Michael Chabon, Irvine Welsh, Flannery O'Connor or George Singleton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I know these aren't "classics" but who knows what you've already read or haven't.

      Delete
    2. The fact that you recommend Kurt Vonnegut to me makes me wary of the rest. I thought you knew me better than netflix does, Josh.

      Delete
    3. I didn't realize you had a Vonnegut problem...which is what, exactly? Also, Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner is a great book.

      Delete
    4. Although, yeah, if you are a Dickens fan...we probably won't have much in common vis a vis leisure reading

      Delete
    5. Dickens ain't everything, but I'm not one to count words.

      Delete
  3. The diaries of Anais Nin. All day. Every day.
    No, seriously. I need an intervention.
    Her life was just so fascinating, I can't put them down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could try Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, or Because It Is Bitter And Because It's My Heart by Joyce Carol Oates, or East is East by T.C. Boyle, or how about Summerland by Michael Chabon, or maybe Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban or Perfume by Patrick Suskind. There's a start. Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with a re-read or two, I suppose. :P

      (I haven't read ALL of those, though, so thanks!)

      Delete
  5. Fine. Then go with Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess, The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell, Ironweed by William Kennedy, The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols, Possession by A.S. Byatt, and A House Unlocked by Penelope Lively. Me again

    ReplyDelete