Monday, September 23, 2013

Hours in the Day


There aren't enough of them, hours in the day, not when more than 4/5ths are taken up with housewifery and scholastic endeavors. So the night will be mine as well. I usually stay up until mid-night, but I think I can stretch it to one.

I'm tapping into some previously wasted wine time: Driving. Instead of just flipping from station to station, I'm listening to Moby Dick. (I was inspired by this NPR Segment. Listen to it.) It is super entertaining thus far and provides quite a diversion.

Things have been moving in a more or less oceanic direction in my mind. Not that I'm plotting to r-u-n-n-o-f-t or anything, but here's the thing: I made a nautical piece of art for school, it inspired me to write a nautical song, which lead me to pursue Moby Dick, and finally I got involved with Isak Dinesen who said, "The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."

So there it is. The moon is a ghostly galleon, tossed upon the cloudy seas.

1 comment:

  1. I love the ocean. When I go too long without at least sitting in the sand and staring into the waves, I feel internally off-kilter. Which was why my family thought I didn't know what I was doing when I moved to Kansas City. My favorite part of beach vacations, when I was a teen, was to walk to the end of a pier at night and stare down into the wine-dark seas. I would think "every ripple is kind of like the course of someone's life and the little waves are made when people collide together." The crashing of the surf was like the end that awaits us all. I only began to love the mountains when I realized they were just those same wave forms, made giant and frozen in rock (at least the mountains near here). I am making a mix of sea songs, always looking for one more...maybe yours?

    If this comment seems weird, I am dehydrated and not feeling all that well. So, :p

    ReplyDelete